IT News & Information Technology Security Updates
All the latest IT news and most recent updates from the world of information technology security, in this single news feed. Get up to speed in all things info tech and IT security. Do a quick check of all new USA and global IT developments. If you’re not seeing today’s IT news stories, please reload the page to refresh the news feed.
- How to Switch From Google Authenticator to Another 2FA Appon October 18, 2021 at 11:00 am
Yes, you can choose another two-factor authentication app without getting locked out of your accounts.
- Hackers Keep Targeting the US Water Supplyon October 16, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Plus: The biggest Twitch hack, an iOS zero day, and more of the week's top security news.
- Missouri Threatens to Sue a Reporter Over a Security Flawon October 15, 2021 at 10:02 pm
The governor warned that he would take legal action against a journalist who identified a vulnerability that exposed teachers’ Social Security numbers.
- Passengers couldn’t fly after NHS vaccine passport went offlineon October 14, 2021 at 6:04 pm
Outage lasted approximately 4 hours, causing issues with health app.
- A Telegram Bot Told Iranian Hackers When They Got a Hiton October 14, 2021 at 2:36 pm
APT35 may not be the most dangerous group out there, but they've got a new phishing trick.
- Verizon’s Visible cell customers hacked, leading to unauthorized purchaseson October 14, 2021 at 12:40 pm
Company suspects credential stuffing, but questions remain.
- “Hacker X”—the American who built a pro-Trump fake news empire—unmasks himselfon October 14, 2021 at 12:00 pm
He was hired to build a fake news op but now wants to put things right.
- Telegram Is Becoming a Cesspool of Anti-Semitic Contenton October 13, 2021 at 1:00 pm
A new report shows that channels devoted to anti-Jewish conspiracy theories are growing at an alarming rate. Why won’t the platform take action?
- How to Permanently Delete Your Facebook Accounton October 11, 2021 at 11:00 am
If you've finally hit your breaking point, here's how to say goodbye to Mark Zuckerberg's empire.
- Someone Hacked a US Warship Facebook Account to Stream Gameson October 9, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Plus: Twitch hack fallout, Russian phishing, and more of the week’s top security news.
- Cloudflare Isn't Liable for Sites That Hawk Counterfeitson October 9, 2021 at 1:00 pm
A federal judge ruled that the content-delivery service doesn't "contribute" to copyright infringement.
- US gov’t will slap contractors with civil lawsuits for hiding breacheson October 7, 2021 at 12:46 pm
Civil Cyber-Fraud Initiative mandates data-breach reporting for gov't contractors.
- Twitch source code, creator earnings exposed in 125GB leakon October 6, 2021 at 7:31 pm
Twitch blames a "server configuration change" for the massive data leak.
- A Devastating Twitch Hack Sends Streamers Reelingon October 6, 2021 at 3:47 pm
The data breach apparently includes source code, gamer payouts, and more.
- Company that routes SMS for all major US carriers was hacked for five yearson October 5, 2021 at 10:27 pm
Syniverse hasn't revealed whether text messages were exposed.
- Windows 11: The Ars Technica reviewon October 5, 2021 at 8:00 pm
Attractive new design overshadowed by regressions and high system requirements.
- Facebook’s outage likely cost the company over $60 millionon October 5, 2021 at 12:33 pm
Configuration change cascaded down the data centers, bringing systems to a halt.
- How to Get Your Family to Actually Use a Password Manageron October 5, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Whether it's about sharing your Netflix login or getting your affairs in order, here are tips for convincing your loved ones to organize and protect their accounts too.
- Why Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp All Went Down Todayon October 4, 2021 at 9:03 pm
The problem relates to something called BGP routing, and it took down every part of Facebook's business.
- Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Oculus are down. Here’s what we know [Updated]on October 4, 2021 at 8:22 pm
The root cause of the worldwide outage appears to be a flubbed BGP route update.
- Researcher refuses Telegram’s bounty award, discloses auto-delete bugon October 4, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Telegram took months to fix "self-destruct" message bug. Then requested silence.
- A Simple Bug Is Leaving AirTag Users Vulnerable to an Attackon October 3, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Apple has reportedly known about the exploit for months.
- Help Might Finally Be on the Way to Fight SIM-Swap Attackson October 2, 2021 at 5:10 pm
Plus: A cybersecurity CEO arrest, an Apple Pay hack, and more of the week's top security news.
- Hundreds of scam apps hit over 10 million Android deviceson October 2, 2021 at 10:50 am
GriftHorse campaign used clever techniques to avoid detection in Google Play.
- California DMV gives Cruise and Waymo OK to charge for rideson October 1, 2021 at 7:26 pm
But the California Public Utilities Commission still has to give its approval.
- “Wayforward Machine” provides a glimpse into the future of the webon October 1, 2021 at 1:20 pm
"Imagine a future without access to knowledge..."
- Neiman Marcus data breach impacts 4.6 million customerson October 1, 2021 at 12:32 pm
Users were asked to change passwords—but were not offered free credit monitoring.
- Apple forgot to sanitize the Phone Number field for lost AirTagson September 30, 2021 at 10:16 pm
Another bug-bounty boondoggle leads to public disclosure before the bug is fixed.
- The Senate Is Mad as Hell at Facebook—Againon September 30, 2021 at 8:02 pm
The latest hearing on Instagram and teen mental health was the depressing work of a legislature that can’t legislate.
- Intel launches its next-generation neuromorphic processor—so, what’s that again?on September 30, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Intel's Loihi processors have electronics that behave a lot like neurons.