IT News & Information Technology Security Updates
All the latest IT news and most recent updates from the world of information technology security, in this single news feed. Get up to speed in all things info tech and IT security. Do a quick check of all new USA and global IT developments. If you’re not seeing today’s IT news stories, please reload the page to refresh the news feed.
- Go Update iOS, Chrome, and HP Computers to Fix Serious Flawson September 30, 2022 at 11:00 am
Plus: WhatsApp plugs holes that could be used for remote execution attacks, Microsoft patches a zero-day vulnerability, and more.
- Numerous orgs hacked after installing weaponized open source appson September 29, 2022 at 10:06 pm
PuTTY, KiTTY, TightVNC, Sumatra PDF Reader, and muPDF/Subliminal Recording all targeted.
- A Matrix Update Patches Serious End-to-End Encryption Flawson September 29, 2022 at 4:00 pm
The messenger protocol had gained popularity for its robust security, but vulnerabilities allowed attackers to decrypt messages and impersonate users.
- Meta announces Make-A-Video, which generates video from texton September 29, 2022 at 3:39 pm
Using a text description or an existing image, Make-A-Video can render video on demand.
- Mystery Hackers Are ‘Hyperjacking’ Targets for Insidious Spyingon September 29, 2022 at 1:00 pm
For decades, security researchers warned about techniques for hijacking virtualization software. Now one group has put them into practice.
- Never-before-seen malware has infected hundreds of Linux and Windows deviceson September 28, 2022 at 11:48 pm
Small office routers? FreeBSD machines? Enterprise servers? Chaos infects them all.
- The Race to Find the Nord Stream Saboteurson September 28, 2022 at 8:00 pm
Damage to the pipeline that runs between Russia and Germany is being treated as deliberate. Finding out what happened may not be straightforward.
- Cloudflare’s CAPTCHA replacement lacks crosswalks, checkboxes, Googleon September 28, 2022 at 8:00 pm
Cloud giant says its verification tool doesn't challenge or profile users.
- DALL-E image generator is now open to everyoneon September 28, 2022 at 5:33 pm
DALL-E launched frenzy of image synthesis development but was invitation-only until now.
- Google Fiber touts 20Gbps download speed in test, promises eventual 100Gbpson September 28, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Google Fiber test delivered 20.2Gbps downloads to exec's home in Kansas City.
- Serious vulnerabilities in Matrix’s end-to-end encryption have been patchedon September 28, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Previously overlooked flaws allow malicious homeservers to decrypt and spoof messages.
- Cloudflare Takes a Stab at a Captcha That Doesn’t Suckon September 28, 2022 at 1:05 pm
The internet infrastructure company has an alternative tool to check whether you’re human—and it doesn’t force you to pick out buses in tiny boxes.
- We interviewed Linux OS through an AI bot to discover its secretson September 28, 2022 at 11:00 am
In the world's first operating system interview, Linux tells all about Windows, Torvalds, and its favorite distro.
- This Chatbot Aims to Steer People Away From Child Abuse Materialon September 28, 2022 at 6:00 am
Pornhub is trialing a new automated tool that pushes CSAM-searchers to seek help for their online behavior. Will it work?
- Better than JPEG? Researcher discovers that Stable Diffusion can compress imageson September 27, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Lossy compression bypasses text-to-image portions of Stable Diffusion with interesting results.
- Apps can pose bigger security, privacy threat based on where you download themon September 27, 2022 at 1:53 pm
Same app, different risks if you download it in, say, Tunisia rather than in Germany.
- How to Advocate for Data Privacy and Users' Rightson September 27, 2022 at 12:00 pm
Want to speak up against Big Tech, unjust data collection, and surveillance? Here's how to be an activist in your community and beyond.
- The Dire Warnings in the Lapsus$ Hacker Joyrideon September 27, 2022 at 11:00 am
The fun-loving cybercriminals blamed for breaches of Uber and Rockstar are exposing weaknesses in ways others aren't.
- Russia plans “massive cyberattacks” on critical infrastructure, Ukraine warnson September 26, 2022 at 7:14 pm
Distributed denial-of-service attacks are also likely to increase, advisory says.
- Darth Vader’s voice will be AI-generated from now onon September 26, 2022 at 3:21 pm
Using Respeecher, Vader will live on as a cloned voice effect performed by another actor.
- The Best VPNs to Protect Yourself Onlineon September 26, 2022 at 1:00 pm
It won’t solve all of your privacy problems, but a virtual private network can make you a less tempting target for hackers.
- This Vote Could Change the Course of Internet Historyon September 26, 2022 at 11:00 am
UN countries are preparing to pick a new head of the International Telecommunications Union. Who wins could shape the open web's future.
- VPN Providers Flee India as a New Data Law Takes Holdon September 25, 2022 at 11:00 am
Many companies have pulled physical servers from the country as a mandate to collect customer data goes into effect.
- Child Predators Mine Twitch to Prey on Kidson September 24, 2022 at 1:00 pm
Plus: A leaked trove illuminates Russia’s internet regulator, a report finds Facebook and Instagram violated Palestinian rights, and more.
- How 3 hours of inaction from Amazon cost cryptocurrency holders $235,000on September 23, 2022 at 6:04 pm
For 2nd time in 4 years, Amazon loses control of its IP space in BGP hijacking.
- Starlink is getting a lot slower as more people use it, speed tests showon September 23, 2022 at 5:57 pm
Starlink capacity limits hit users—SpaceX says more satellites will make it faster.
- Slack’s and Teams’ Lax App Security Raises Alarmson September 23, 2022 at 4:52 pm
New research shows how third-party apps could be exploited to infiltrate these sensitive workplace tools.
- Iran’s Internet Shutdown Hides a Deadly Crackdownon September 23, 2022 at 3:23 pm
Amid protests against the killing of Mahsa Amini, authorities have cut off mobile internet, WhatsApp, and Instagram. The death toll continues to rise.
- Artist receives first known US copyright registration for latent diffusion AI arton September 22, 2022 at 9:38 pm
Registration of AI-assisted comic comes amid fierce online debate about AI art ethics.
- The Ungodly Surveillance of Anti-Porn ‘Shameware’ Appson September 22, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Churches are using invasive phone-monitoring tech to discourage “sinful” behavior. Some software is seeing more than congregants realize.