IT News & Information Technology Security Updates
All the latest IT news and most recent updates from the world of information technology security, in this single news feed. Get up to speed in all things info tech and IT security. Do a quick check of all new USA and global IT developments. If you’re not seeing today’s IT news stories, please reload the page to refresh the news feed.
- Code-execution flaw in VMware has a severity rating of 9.8 out of 10on February 25, 2021 at 9:48 pm
Thousands of servers running vCenter server could be in for a nasty surprise.
- Verizon and AT&T dominate spectrum auction, spending combined $69 billionon February 25, 2021 at 4:14 pm
Top two carriers buy licenses nationwide, outspending T-Mobile and US Cellular.
- Cox’s bad customer service stymies users who don’t want upload speeds cuton February 24, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Cox told media that customers can keep speed plans but didn't tell sales reps.
- Ukraine says Russia hacked its document portal and planted malicious fileson February 24, 2021 at 8:09 pm
Ukraine says Russia also backed massive DDoS attack using never-before-seen methods.
- Android users now have an easy way to check the security of their passwordson February 24, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Feature checks user credentials against a list of billions of compromised passwords.
- Hackers Tied to Russia's GRU Targeted the US Grid for Yearson February 24, 2021 at 12:30 pm
A Sandworm-adjacent group has successfully breached US critical infrastructure a handful of times, according to new findings from the security firm Dragos.
- Confirmed: Fry’s Electronics going out of business, shutting down all storeson February 24, 2021 at 5:52 am
Former king of build-your-own-PC retailers couldn't survive COVID, consignment shift.
- Musk: Starlink will hit 300Mbps and expand to “most of Earth” this yearon February 23, 2021 at 3:52 pm
SpaceX CEO teases higher speeds, lower latency, and near-global coverage.
- The bitcoin blockchain is helping keep a botnet from being taken downon February 23, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Wallet transactions camouflage the IP address of the botnet's control server.
- 2034, Part V: Sailing Into Darknesson February 23, 2021 at 12:00 pm
“Somewhere in that black hole was the Chinese fleet. She would be expected to find and destroy it.”
- The Woman Bulldozing Video Games’ Toughest DRMon February 22, 2021 at 10:55 pm
For Empress, cracking titles like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Immortals Fenyx Rising is more than a pastime. It's a mission.
- AT&T and Frontier have let phone networks fall apart, Calif. regulator findson February 22, 2021 at 8:44 pm
AT&T raised phone prices 153% over a decade as service got steadily worse.
- China Hijacked an NSA Hacking Tool—and Used It for Yearson February 22, 2021 at 11:00 am
The hackers used the agency’s EpMe exploit to attack Windows devices years before the Shadow Brokers leaked the agency’s zero-day arsenal online.
- A Trippy Visualization Charts the Internet's Growthon February 21, 2021 at 12:00 pm
In 2003, Barrett Lyon created a map of the internet. In 2021, he did it again—and showed just how quickly it's expanded.
- Sites Have a Sneaky New Way to Track You Across the Webon February 20, 2021 at 3:21 pm
Plus: A LastPass rate change, Clubhouse concerns, and more of the week's top security news.
- New malware found on 30,000 Macs has security pros stumpedon February 20, 2021 at 3:10 pm
With no payload, analysts are struggling to learn what this mature malware does.
- Comcast reluctantly drops data-cap enforcement in 12 states for rest of 2021on February 19, 2021 at 5:26 pm
ISP grants reprieve in Northeast but still caps users in most of its US territory.
- New browser-tracking hack works even when you flush caches or go incognitoon February 19, 2021 at 12:54 pm
At least 4 top browsers affected by "powerful tracking vector," researchers say.
- Microsoft says SolarWinds hackers stole source code for 3 productson February 19, 2021 at 2:20 am
The company said it found no indication the breach allowed customers to be hacked.
- Apple Offers Its Closest Look Yet at iOS and MacOS Securityon February 18, 2021 at 10:01 pm
In its latest Platform Security Guide, Cupertino raised the curtain on the critical features that protect against hackers.
- Feds Indict North Korean Hackers for Years of Heistson February 17, 2021 at 7:47 pm
The three men are allegedly part of a group that tried to steal $1.3 billion in an extended—and ongoing—cybercrime spree.
- Parler Says It’s Backon February 17, 2021 at 2:00 pm
The platform was kicked off Amazon’s servers. Now it says it no longer relies on “Big Tech” for its infrastructure.
- Malware Is Now Targeting Apple’s New M1 Processoron February 17, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Two distinct strains of malware have already adjusted to the new silicon just months after its debut.
- France ties Russia’s Sandworm to a multiyear hacking spreeon February 17, 2021 at 1:26 am
Destructively minded group has exploited an IT monitoring tool from Centreon.
- North Korea may have hacked into Pfizer servers looking for COVID dataon February 16, 2021 at 6:08 pm
South Korea's NIS warned lawmakers of Russian and North Korean hacking activity.
- How to Avoid Phishing Emails and Scamson February 16, 2021 at 1:00 pm
It's is a bigger threat than ever. Here are some ways you can defend yourself.
- New type of supply-chain attack hit Apple, Microsoft and 33 other companieson February 16, 2021 at 12:49 pm
Researcher who got targets to automatically install his code gets $130,000 payout.
- 2034, Part IV: The Spratly Islands Ambushon February 16, 2021 at 12:00 pm
“In a thousand years America won’t be remembered as a country, but simply as a fleeting moment.”
- Parler says it’s back without “Big Tech” after being kicked off Amazonon February 15, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Parler said it's using "independent technology" to get online after Amazon ban.
- France Ties Russia's Sandworm to a Multiyear Hacking Spreeon February 15, 2021 at 8:10 pm
A French security agency warns that the destructively minded group has exploited an IT monitoring tool from Centreon.