Outlook has a tendency to have multiple processes running, most of which are invisible to the user. If there is already a process running for Outlook, the next time you attempt to open Outlook, it will not display anything. It is running, you just cannot see it.
Click here for instructions on how to resolve this problem.
Antivirus programs that support scanning email for viruses.
These types of programs will tend to keep Outlook open. Disable email scanning and Outlook should close correctly.
It’s perfectly safe to disable this setting – it gives you advanced warning of viruses but as long as you can control your urge to open every attachment you receive, you’ll be just as safe with it disabled. The antivirus programs that can affect Outlook include, but are not limited to, the following programs:
- Kaspersky Antivirus Pro version 5.
- Panda AntiVirus Outlook Plug-In (pavexcli.dll).
- Norton Antivirus with e-mail scanning and script blocking enabled.
Need hands-on assistance troubleshooting your Outlook email?
Existing Fastmetrics customers, setup a remote support session with a Fastmetrics Email Technician, using logmein123.
The following is list of add-ins which are reported to keep Outlook running after it’s closed:
- Outlook Change Notifier – Apple iTunes addin for syncing with iPhones, iPods etc.
- WinFax Pro. Disable WinFax or remove the WinFax Fax log from the profile. Remove them by opening Tools, Options, Mail Setup tab, Data Files and delete if present.
- ActiveSync (especially when a PDA is cradled).
- Blackberry software.
- Stamps.com (when using address from Outlook’s Contacts).
- Outlook Express (when sharing Contacts with the Windows Address Book (WAB).
- Franklin Covey Plan Plus.
- Mapilab’s Messenger Journal utility.
- Earthlink’s Spamblocker (the installation file is ELSBSetup.exe).
- Outlook Attachment Sniffer.
- TechSmith’s SnagIt 7 with Outlook integration enabled.
- Cloudmark Spamnet.
- OneNote 2003 (with Outlook 2000).
- Fourelle Venturi Client.
- Internet Download Manager – uninstall.
- TMAntispam – the antispam part of Trend Micro’s PCCillin Internet Security 2005 suite.
- FSecure 2005 antispam add-in.
- Prophet 2004 (by Avidian) – check for updates.
- Intuit Quickbooks.
- iTunes calendar sync add-in.
- iPhone Add-in.
- ABBYY FineReader 9.0.
- WMPNETWK or sharing files within MS media player 11.
Some other possible causes:
- A corrupt *.SRS (send and receive profile file)
- Setting Outlook’s Empty deleted items when closing option can cause Outlook to close slowly.
Related Posts From Fastmetrics