List: Programs Microsoft Outlook Leaves Running
Microsoft Outlook email has a tendency to have multiple processes running, most of which are invisible to the user. If there is already a process running for Outlook, the next time you attempt to open MS Outlook, it will not display anything. It is running, you just cannot see it. Click the link below for instructions on how to resolve this problem.
Antivirus programs that support scanning email for viruses: These types of programs will tend to keep Outlook email open. Disable email scanning and Outlook should close correctly. It’s perfectly safe to disable this setting – it gives you advanced warning of viruses but as long as you can control your urge to open every attachment you receive, you’ll be just as safe with it disabled.
The antivirus programs that can affect Outlook include, (but are not limited to), the following programs:
- Kaspersky Antivirus Pro Version 5
- Panda AntiVirus Outlook Plug-In (pavexcli.dll)
- Norton Antivirus with e-mail scanning and script blocking enabled
Need hands-on assistance troubleshooting your Outlook email?
Existing Fastmetrics email customers can setup a remote support session with a Fastmetrics Email Technician, using logmein123.
The following is list of common ‘add-ins’ which are are known to keep Microsoft Outlook running after it’s closed:
- Outlook Change Notifier – Apple iTunes add-in for syncing with iPhones, iPods etc
- WinFax Pro. Disable WinFax or remove the WinFax Fax log from the profile. Remove them by opening Tools, Options, Mail Setup tab, Data Files and delete if present
- ActiveSync (especially when a PDA is cradled)
- Blackberry software
- Stamps.com (when using address from Outlook’s Contacts)
- Outlook Express (when sharing Contacts with the Windows Address Book (WAB)
- Franklin Covey Plan Plus
- Mapilab’s Messenger Journal utility
- Earthlink’s Spamblocker (the installation file is ELSBSetup.exe)
- Outlook Attachment Sniffer
- TechSmith’s SnagIt 7 with Outlook integration enabled
- Cloudmark Spamnet
- OneNote 2003 (with Outlook 2000)
- Fourelle Venturi Client
- Internet Download Manager – uninstall
- TMAntispam – the antispam part of Trend Micro’s PCCillin Internet Security 2005 suite
- FSecure 2005 antispam add-in
- Prophet 2004 (by Avidian) – check for updates
- Intuit Quickbooks
- iTunes calendar sync add-in
- iPhone add-in
- ABBYY FineReader 9.0
- WMPNETWK or sharing files within MS media player 11
Some other possible causes:
- A corrupt *.SRS (send and receive profile file)
- Setting Outlook’s Empty deleted items when closing option can cause Outlook to close slowly
About Fastmetrics, Inc. Building & Business ISP
Since 2002, Fastmetrics is the Bay Area's only dedicated business ISP. We provide telecommunication services in California and the San Francisco Bay Area. Reliable service - backed by better live and local support. From install to 24-7 proactive monitoring, get treated like a VIP customer. Not a number by a faceless call center. We specialize in managed business internet and phones, dedicated high speed business fiber internet, business WiFi, SIP voice solutions / UCaaS and managed network services. We are a Microsoft and Cisco Meraki Partner. Our team are Certified Cisco Specialists, Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Accredited and Polycom Authorized Solution Advisors. We take care of your business network, so you can focus on growth.